(File pix) Human Resources Minister Datuk Seri Richard Riot Ak Jaem said employers should not make excuses to delay implementation and respect the government’s decision to increase the minimum wage. Pix by Edmund Samunting
KUALA LUMPUR: The government is not turning back on the country’s minimum wage policy, said Human Resources Minister Datuk Seri Richard Riot.
He said as such, employers should not make excuses to delay its implementation and instead respect the government’s decision to increase the minimum wage.
Addressing the issue of employers protesting against the salary hike, claiming that it was untimely with the current economy, Riot said employers were given ample time to prepare for the implementation on July 1 next year.
“The government has studied the decision and we believe this is acceptable and fair to all.”
Employers have eight months to make necessary steps to ensure they abide by the policy,” he said in his speech, which was read out by the ministry’s secretary-general Datuk Seri Saripuddin Kassim at the National Wages Consultative Council appointment ceremony here today.
He said the ministry believed the minimum wage increase would be successful following a 99 per cent compliance rate based on checks by the ministry.
He said as of August this year, a total of 182 employers were arrested and brought to court for failing to pay minimum wage to their workers.”
The arrest of these employers is part of our efforts to ensure they comply to the minimum wage policy,” he said.
The national minimum wage next year will be increased to RM1,000 monthly for Peninsular Malaysia and RM920 monthly for Sabah, Sarawak and Labuan.
The move was announced by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak at the tabling of the 2016 Budget.
He said the minimum wage increase involved all sectors except the domestic services sector.
Minimum wage was previously fixed at RM900 and RM800 for the Peninsular and East Malaysia, respectively.