MELAKA, July 30 (Bernama) — A total 11,457 people, who were involved in accidents and were permanently disabled, successfully returned to work via the ‘Return To Work’ programme since it was launched in 2007 up to June this year.
Human Resource Minister Richard Riot Jaem said, the individuals, who were among 15,447 Social Security Organisation (Socso) contributors, were treated at Socso treatment centres including government and private hospitals nationwide via the programme.
He said 823 individuals returned to work this year, as of June, seeking jobs (138), recovering (555) and still undergoing medical treatment (302).
“Of the total, 74 per cent returned to work with the same employers and this showed a positive achievement via the numerous efforts undertaken by the government,” he told reporters after visiting a rehabilitation centre in Air Keroh here, Thursday.
Also present was Deputy Human Resources Minister Datuk Ismail Abd Muttalib and Socso Chief Executive Officer Datuk Dr Mohammed Azman Aziz Mohammed.
Commenting further, he said the opening of the rehabilitation centre in Air Keroh on Oct 1 last year was the first in South East Asia and one of the government’s efforts to assist contributors of Socso, who were injured or were permanently disabled, to get treatment.
He said the objective of setting up the centre on a 22.3-hectare site was aimed at providing quality physical and vocational rehabilitation services by 110 personnel.
He said the centre could accommodate 1,448 patients a year. Wards and hostels were provided for those requiring intensive rehabilitation treatments.
“The centre has numerous sophisticated equipment and facilities and of global standard to ensure those being treated here will recover and return to work,” he added.